Re: [OM] I have antz in my pantz with this A/V hell...

Subject: Re: [OM] I have antz in my pantz with this A/V hell...
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 11:02:02 +0100
Hi, Fernando and all,

From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgonzalezgentile@xxxxxxxxx>
>I'd say a DVD Player 'expects' a .jpg at 72 (default CS3 creative /
>production suite), 'though I was able to watch a single .jpg at 300
>through a BluRay player.

>No slide shows yet, but still in my plans (in fact this would force my
>workflow to sRGB :-) ).
<temporal-snip>
>This could be the best argument which can make me go out of aRGB into
>sRGB, as far as I'm able to understand this issue.

>Problem of using a Mac, could be this one: are you able to toast an
>iMovie file into a DVD and play it through any cheapo DVDPlayer? I
>don't know which files does iMovie put out ...

>1- is an specific audio file required? does it make it with .cda, or
>should I compress to .mp3

What is .cda??? The _standard_ DVD format uses AC3 Dolby Digital, similar in
a way to MP3 -- usually at a 192 kbps rate. There is, however, the option of
using Linear PCM Audio, in either 48 or 96 kHz and 16 or 24 bits -- better
than CD quality.

>If it were .cda, how long can be stored into a DVD ----- continued in
>next question:

AFAIK, there's no such thing as .cda... If you're talking about Audio CD
tracks, it's officially called "Red Book format"; computers are usually
supplied with a patch to allow access to this 'foreign' filesystem, so they
look to the user like a disk full of AIFFs or WAVs, depending on OS.

With CD quality it takes about 10,09 MiB per minute -- see the difference
between the Red Book format (up to 80 minutes would around 800 MiB) and the
usual ISO9660 of CD-ROMs? (topping at 700 MiB). I think there's no DVD
support for these parameters, the minimum is 48k/16b => nearly 11
MiB/minute. A standard DVD-5 is really about 4.37 GiB = around 4500 MiB, so
you do the math.

>2- I suppose a sensible resize for a 'full HDTV' with HDMI input would
>be 1080 wide for landscape pictures, .jpg files (one could save a
>'resize for 1080' in SI Pro2).

Again, the standard DVD format has no support for HD -- the cheapest DVD
players may expect 720 x 576 pictures and movies (in PAL; make the vertical
count 480 for NTSC). But most players would scale bigger pictures down to
what the standard TV can show.

Then, many DVD players have support for high res pics and movies in several
codecs... but those are outside of the standard DVD format.

>The more .jpg  Kb you copy into a DVD5,
>the less .cda Kb one would be able to copy into the same DVD5, isn't
>it so?

Sure. I'm currently in the process of converting to DVD the old videotapes,
and for a disk of full of musical performances (including Atlantic's 40th
anniversary!) I chose to lessen picture quality (to about 3.5 Mbps, if
memory serves) in order to increase the audio bitrate.

>Last - at least this time we didn't get stuck into the copyright
>issues regarding the audio tracks :-)

Shhhhh! Not so loud, Ramoncín may hear you :-) :-) :-) :-)

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)