Re: [OM] I have antz in my pantz with this A/V hell...

Subject: Re: [OM] I have antz in my pantz with this A/V hell...
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 11:10:46 +0000
Hi again,

Forgot to reply some quotes... so many posts, so little time!

From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgonzalezgentile@xxxxxxxxx>
> >I'd say a DVD Player 'expects' a .jpg at 72 (default CS3 creative /
> >production suite), 'though I was able to watch a single .jpg at 300
> >through a BluRay player.
>
> 72 (dpi) is meaningless here... only the pixel count should matter: 720 x
576 (or 480 for NTSC)

> >No slide shows yet, but still in my plans (in fact this would force my
> >workflow to sRGB :-) ).
> <temporal-snip>
> >This could be the best argument which can make me go out of aRGB into
> >sRGB, as far as I'm able to understand this issue.

WRONG AGAIN!  ;^) sRGB is intended for Internet; something to be shown on TV
sets must match the PAL or NTSC colour space...

>Problem of using a Mac, could be this one: are you able to toast an
> >iMovie file into a DVD and play it through any cheapo DVDPlayer? I
> >don't know which files does iMovie put out ...
>
> Again, don't confuse what a computer can write (and read) with the standard
every cheapo-DVD player will actually play. The disc should be in UDF format
and contain a stange mix of .vob (interleaved MPEG2 video and AC3 audio)
files, up to 1 GiB each.

iMovie may use whatever format it internally uses -- but when "toasting" a
DVD, it should call iDVD in order to generate the proper, universal format.

I don't use neither of them, but the procedure is similar: I edit the DV
streams (in .mov containers) with the Pro version of the QuickTime Player
(I'm registered!). That will take about 15 GiB per hour, but then use Toast
to make the DVD -- not just burning the files on the disk, but first
transcoding the contents, which may take all night long!

I have also made DVDs on PCs, with different software -- Premiere and Nero.
Same procedure, I export the whole (big!) clip in uncompressed .avi, then
Nero transcodes it.

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)