Re: [OM] An old comparison of scanned film vs microphotograph of film

Subject: Re: [OM] An old comparison of scanned film vs microphotograph of film
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgonzalezgentile@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 01:38:18 -0200
Yes, I know ... I frequently (every two or three months ;-) ) go to
the processing store.
Each time I show up there, I find less and less people ordering prints.
My mother sends the files she wants to print to their website.
When I want to print, I take my resized .tif and wait for them. They
print them immediately - four years ago that was simply not possible,
had to wait until the next day at least. While I wait, few people
enter the store.

At work: on Friday mornings, some 10 to 20 people join at the staff
house before they go to meet their patients. Aprox. 1/4 of them bring
laptops, and they show their pictures using Vista picture viewer or
Picassa - no they don't bring prints. In fact I feel that they're not
showing photographs, I feel they're showing their new laptops.

Last week I went to an event on astrophotography, very near to where I
live. They had printed a little big on a lab I avoid. Asked to see the
files. They brought a nice laptop with an uncalibrated monitor. I
commented on the lack of dynamic range the prints had, and knew
beforehand the answer (a mixture of three nonsense arguments, followed
by telling they had done what the Centro Municipal de Fotografía
advised: I know Agfa and the CMDF work together since five or six
years ago). Then, pointed out how red they were (the very same reason
why I never go to the Agfa store - for small prints, I seem to prefer
the Frontier magenta shift). Then, he seemed to understand ...

I'm telling what I'm watching is happening in Montevideo, Uruguay ...
a very small city where people is not too rich.
Those who are poor, do print - those who can buy a laptop, don't.

Fernando.
('nite, Chuck, gonna sleep now).