Re: [OM] Question for E-1 Users

Subject: Re: [OM] Question for E-1 Users
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 07:21:01 -0500
On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have an E-510 which I use with my ZD 14-54 AF lens and several Leica-R and
> Pentax manual focus lenses.  From what I have read, the finder and screen of
> the E-1 would give me better focusing ability and a more realistic DOF
> rendition when using the MF lenses than I am currently getting with the
> E-510.  Is this correct?  Does the E-1 screen more closely resemble a frosted
> screen than the transparent screen of the E-510?
>
> I have been considering the acquisition of an E-1, but have never had the
> opportunity to examine one.  Hence the questions above.

Jim,
I'm slow getting to list activity this weekend but wanted to add my
vote.  I have E-1, 330, 410, and E-3.  The E-1 and E-3 work pretty
well with MF lenses, the faster the lens the better. MF lenses are
fine with Live View, but I find it much more difficult to do manual
focusing through the VF with the non-single digit E's.  My experience
more or less corroborates Piers's, I think.  I purchased an ME-1 when
I got the 330, thinking it would improve the experience (since it
provides 1.2x magnification).  I won't bother getting one for the 410
because the 410 is fine for my purposes as it is.

Comparison of an E viewfinder to any full-frame film camera,
especially one as big and bright as an OM, is going to produce
disappointment.  I think they're really hard to compare because they
are made to do different things.  In their milieu, I like all of the
E-system viewfinders.  So take my comments under advisement.  The
digital viewfinders don't interfere with what I want to do with the
cameras, so I tend to be less concerned that they aren't equal to film
or possibly FF digital cameras.  I can't say that I have noticed any
actual difference between the screens in any of these cameras.  Their
size is different and provides the one advantage that the E-1 has over
all others but the E-3.

The shortcomings you are apt to find with the E-1 are the size of the
LCD (small and only allows 4x enlargement during replay) and possibly
a want of pixels.  I don't think you shoot a lot of sports?  It is
hard to shoot continuously at a quality mode higher than HQ because
the buffer is slow to write to the card.  But the E-1 is a great
camera with a great feel, excellent color, and wonderfully smooth and
quiet shutter.  The E system cameras jumped quite a bit ahead with
noise "improvement" with the 330, 410, 510.  I don't mind the noise of
the E-1 at ISO 400 or even 800, but tastes differ.  Also, if critical
focus with a MF lens is important, I would find it better to stay with
a camera that has LV.  With a reasonably fast lens, wide-open or
closed maybe a stop, the E-1 VF works pretty well, and of course with
hyperfocal distance focusing it's fine too, but you can already do
that with the 510.

Joel W.