Re: [OM] Chuck's gettin' better

Subject: Re: [OM] Chuck's gettin' better
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 16:33:20 -0400
I had extensive conversations with 6 knee replacement patients.  Two had
had unilateral and four had bilateral... but all recommended a bilateral
since, although it's hell to begin with, there is only one recovery
period (which can last 3-4 months).  If you have a bilateral you can
expect to spend as much as 10 days in a rehab facility after your 3-4
day hospital stay... presumably because you don't have a knee to stand
on.  I had mentally prepared myself for that.  Although there is usually
a 3-4 day rehab period even for unilateral I required no separate rehab
at all.  I was discharged from the hospital directly to home on the
fourth day since I was largely already able to care for myself with my
wife's help.

All in all it has been much easier on me than I thought it would be and
I'm glad it worked out the way it did... so far.  If I'm still hobbling
3 months from now I may have a different view.

Chuck Norcutt