Re: [OM] 357 batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] 357 batteries
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 20:12:54 -0700
Brian Swale wrote:

> My question: why don't you use silver oxide SR44 batteries in the OMs? My
> understanding is they are the best.

There are two major battery numbering systems. Add to that the fact that
early high drain batteries were more prone to leakage than the original,
low drain designs - and thus anathema to watch makers.

Originally, the SR44 and 303 were the same battery, although details of
performance might differ with brand. Then with the advent of high drain,
one system simply added a suffix, SR44W, while the other system added
new numbers for the HD designs, in this case, 357.

In most parts of the world, the SR44(W) is the choice. In North America
(and ??) it was the 357 - until Energizer started messing things up.

Many batteries, such as the Sonys, are simply labeled with both numbers
and specify High Drain, to avoid confusion.

Moose