[OM] More on the 12 volt SLA battery

Subject: [OM] More on the 12 volt SLA battery
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 19:51:22 -0400
I got the new battery today but it appears that I may have rejuvenated
the old one using the 6 amp automotive charger.  The new battery arrived
with a charge state of about 12.6 no load volts.  I had had the old
battery on the 6 amp charger alternating some charge and rest states and
it now shows about 13.5 volts.  I put the new one on the 6 amp charger
as well and it also shows about 13.5 volts.  I've learned not to believe
voltage measured right after it comes off the charger.  For some period
of time you can watch the voltage drop back about 0.01 volts per second
or two.  I don't know how long it takes to stabilize.

I tried about 6 shots from a pair of AB 800s with the old battery and
there were no low voltage chirping complaints from the inverter.  But I
think they were only at 1/2 power.  I'll have to check and raise the
power level and the number of test shots.  I'll feel comfortable with
the old battery if it can give me about 20 full power shots on two
lights without low voltage complaints from the inverter.  That's enough
to get me through a short shooting session where the power needed will
more than likely be 1/4 power or 1/2 power at the most.  When the
battery was new it could deliver 80 of those paired test shots before
the inverter would complain about low battery voltage.

In any case I'll keep the new battery just in case.  I figured out the
old one was bought in August 2004 making it more than 5 years old which
is its maximum expected life span.

Chuck Norcutt