Re: [OM] Cranky 4T hot shoe--suggestions?

Subject: Re: [OM] Cranky 4T hot shoe--suggestions?
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 23:27:46 -0400
Thanks Chuck.  The T28 fired OK from a T-cord hooked up to the T32 on
the 4T---whole rig on my Lepp II bracket.  A Viv 283 failed to fire
last Nov on the 4T as well.  The T28 is the most frequent misbehaver on
the 4T though always seems fine on my back-up OM2 or 2N.
Perhaps I am jostling something in the 4T.

Everything works fine tonight of course.

A flummoxed Dr. Cranky Flash

It doesn't sound to me as though the problem is external contacts on
the hot shoe or the flash units... you've scrubbed them to death.
Except for your T32 comment I would have said the problem is with the
T28. My suspicion is that the apparent randomness is a problem with the
wiring in the T28 and when you touch it or move it to another camera
you're affecting the outcome by jostling a wire and creating an open
circuit.

I'd suggest you go back to the T32 or another flash and see if you
really can create a failure with that flash on the 4T. Just for
completeness you might also want to test manual flash firing via the PC
connector on the 4T.

Chuck Norcutt

usher99 [at] aol.com wrote:

     This had been a longstanding issue/irritant. Sometimes a T32 even
won't fire but seems to especially misbehave with my T28. This summer
the T28 did not fire after much effort with my new Z. 38 macro. I even
had an eraser in my pocket and used it prior. After disassembly of the
whole rig and once again careful cleaning with Ethyl acetate and the
eraser--seemed fine. Finally finished up another roll in the 4T and did
a dry run sans film today of my latest butterfly rig in anticipation of
an upcoming trip home----shutter seemed to lag. I estimated stayed open
like OM-2 for 1/15 sec or so because of insufficient flash. Another
cleaning and it seemed fine again. I had it CLA'd a few months ago and
of course it was on its best behavior when John had it. When I put the
T28 on an OM-2 when it didn't fire on the 4T, it was fine. This guy is
going on flash probation. Otherwise it is fine and there is no visible
issue with the hot shoe.

    Any comments appreciated.

    Mike