Re: [OM] Studio RAW processing was Re: Week 35 - Few Fotos for FUN

Subject: Re: [OM] Studio RAW processing was Re: Week 35 - Few Fotos for FUN
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 11:12:32 -0500
On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 10:35 AM, SwissPace<ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Raw E-3 file as seen by aperture
>
> <http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/gallery/8100207_JddWM#635632039_BxLq5>
>
> Raw E-3 file as seen by olympus studio
>
> <http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/gallery/8100207_JddWM#635621101_HS8jP>
>
> I have normally accepted what aperture gives me in the way of processed
> E-3 files but today I saw that there is a huge difference between what
> it produces and studio, which I  particularily noticed today when I
> printed this picture of the engine block.  Here I have processed and
> uploaded the file in aperture and olympus studio and as you can see
> there is quite a difference, the most pleasing print came though from
> the studio processed file being printed from within photoshop (no
> modifications), probably some epson colour management going on to help.
>
> What started all this, Chris with his email about imageprint - couldn't
> get it to print, which I was glad about when I saw the price ;-)
>
> So if you use an E-3 consider the olympus studio software as others on
> the list have stated before

I have come to the same conclusion, as I think you may recall.

What I sometimes read and have heard repeated is Dpreview's statement
that "Studio2/Master" just produces the same output as the jpg --
suggesting that there is no difference between RAW and JPG if one uses
Studio and so therefore it is better to use Capture One or ACR
(through various venues).  I don't understand why people say this.  I
shoot with settings that I immediately change in the RAW conversion
which would make every JPG different from RAW.  Sure, I COULD make my
RAW development match the jpg if I had nothing better to do.

In my case, I often shoot with -.3 to -.7 exposure comp.  I usually
have Contrast set to -1 or even -2.  I usually have Sharpening set to
+2.  The rest of the settings are zeroed out.  In conversion I adjust
exposure a little if necessary.  I change Sharpening to -1.  I usually
change get the contrast and saturation I want after the image has been
moved into PS.  Sharpening is set high in camera just to make it a
trifle easier to judge focus accuracy while chimping, nothing more.

Ian, in your image it almost appears as though Studio is aRGB and
Aperture is sRGB (but the monitor I'm at right now can't really be
trusted).  In any case, big difference if it is simply a matter of RAW
developer.

Joel W.