Re: [OM] ( OM ) substitute for Sigma 14mm rectilinial

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) substitute for Sigma 14mm rectilinial
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:44:24 +0200
Hi Brian and all,

From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>Here's what I got.  I'm wondering (after the event) if I should have bought

>new from Stephen as there's a revised (but more expensive) version of the

>lens available; but anyway, the deed has been done, so I will live with it.

>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130324106031

>Comments on the combo / choice welcome.

Incidentally, I have just won you-know-where a very similar (including the
price) outfit. So far, I have no direct experience with the 15mm -- yet. But
being the proud owner of several Cosina-Voigtlander lenses (21/4, 28/3.5,
28/1.9, 35/2.5, 40/1.4, 50/2.5 and 75/2.5), I don't think we'll be
disappointed ;^)

As already said, both our LTM 15mm and the newer M-mount share the same
optics. Then, the remaining differences are:

-The M-mount is more expensive...  not just Gandy's listed $150 difference,
don't forget the newer one comes WITHOUT the viewfinder -- worth $128 alone.

-You can mount the older LTM version on both LTM bodies _and_ M-mount bodies
with a simple adapter... but the opposite is not true! Since I own a couple
of M-mount bodies (Bessa T & R3A) and a handful of Russian LTM bodies, I
always try to get LTM versions for increased versatility.

-The M-mount is rangefinder coupled, yes... but I think there's no need for
that in such a wide lens! My experience with the 21/4 (RF coupled) and the
Bessa-T confirms that accurate focusing is a waste of time. Estimated
scale-focusing WILL do the trick for the 15/4.5, for sure.

-The older LTM version does focus CLOSER at 0.3 m / 11.75 in., whereas the
newer M goes down to 0.5 m / 19.7 in. only -- and any body would lose RF
coupling below 0.6-0.9 m, though.

-The M version has a convenient 52mm filter thread -- that would make life
much easier for some users. Officialy, the LTM 15mm can't use filters, but
(let me break the secret!) some Gandy says that the 77mm filter adapter for
the CV 12mm will fit if you wrap some duct tape around the 15's barrel...

-Again, I have no experience with the 15mm's viewfinder... but since the
21's show some distortion, I'm afraid the 15's will do that too. But
remember this is not an SLR, so the pics will come out fine (non-retrofocus
designs are much better at this), and the viewfinder should be used as an
_approximation_ for framing -- that's the rangefinder filosophy! If you want
100% acccurate framing... get a Nikon F :-(

About the body... it was CV's first offering, and said not to have a fit and
finish as good as the most recent bodies, which were improving continuosuly
-- the R3A, for instance, feels MUCH better than the T. But again, you can
think of the body as a box with a shutter and a mount, and will serve well.
Don't expect near single digit OM quality, though. BTW, the external
three-LEDs meter indicator is nice to use, but be careful of where you do
your readings -- the "almost-OTF" metering is only mildly centre-weighted
;^)

In a few words, I think you did well and will enjoy it.

Cheers,

--

Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas

IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)

<http://cjss.sytes.net/>