Re: [OM] ( OM ) substitute for Sigma 14mm rectilinial

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) substitute for Sigma 14mm rectilinial
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <mark.marrlyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 21:22:11 -0600
I may as well fess up to getting the OM-mount Sigma, though I haven't had a
chance to develop any pictures taken with it yet.  I need to get some more
E6 chemistry to run them through the processor.  Anyway, I think that you'll
like the Bessa.  I haven't used the 15mm, but I have a Bessa L and 12mm.  I
find the 12mm a bit difficult to use, but it is quite a lot of fun to shoot
and when it works out, I _really_ like it.  My biggest difficulty lies with
the viewfinder.  It is nice and bright, but there are no frame lines and the
distortions are very different between the lens and viewfinder.  The lens
may be rectilinear, but the viewfinder is somewhere between rectilinear
and fisheye.  I don't know if the 15mm viewfinder is similar to the 12mm
viewfinder.  The advantage of the Sigma is that the composition is easier
but it is much larger and also the most flare-prone lens I've ever used,
even just looking through the viewfinder.
It looks like the differences between the old and new versions of the 15mm
are that it is now an M-mount rangefinder coupled lens instead of an
uncoupled screw mount, with the optics being the same between the two.  I
think you did fine getting the old version, and I think you'll like the
simplicity of the Bessa L.  You will probably be wanting the 12mm before
long :-)
Mark.