[OM] Paging Dr. Small Prints--print mess up

Subject: [OM] Paging Dr. Small Prints--print mess up
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 20:03:07 -0400
Generally like to print on a Fuji frontier---Ran out of time for a
small project for a whole bunch of 4X6's. Used the labs "print Wizzard
 from the lab for rapid crop of 4X3 Jpegs, down res, and presumptive
appropriate sharpening.
Results--ugh for most, waaay tooo soft appearing.  I'm not looking for
perfection in  a batch process of this for small prints or a
hypersharpened look , but that It was a leap of faith that did not
payoff. I have Raw backups from the G9 for most of them. Some required
more attention so as long as I had to fuss, I used the RAW file and did
most adjustments in PS CS3. There is another way to send the files
directly and bypass the print wizzard. Those were better. (usual modus
operendi) The in camera sharpening set a bit down for usual display
size and allowing for later adjustment if the RAW not used--not too
often, if I have time.

The Portra 160 NC from OM were nice right off the bat, in general. So
is there a way to batch down res and appropriate approximate sharpening
for a Fuji frontier? The cropping even can take some time in PS, but I
may not be doing that the best way. I have heard of a NIK software
sharpenener that has batch sharpening for various printers and even
different setting for papers. Never have used Qimage but it has been
mentioned on the list as the best in up-res. This can't be that
hard--what does Joe Shmo do?  The manager can do some batch adjustments
at her end too but I'd rather send her the fiinal package if possible.
She apparently can't accomplish that the "print wizzard", but only from
original JPG's and likely doesn't want Huge files clogging their inbox,
though I can send her a CD or whatever.

Sheepishly posted,
A not feeling so sharp today, Mike