Re: [OM] Question: Mirror and aperture pre-fire?

Subject: Re: [OM] Question: Mirror and aperture pre-fire?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 07:24:31 -0400
Oh, but it does.  The OM-4 offers mirror and aperture pre-fire via its
self-timer which the OM-2 does not.  If you peruse Gary Reese's OM lens
tests you will see that, within a certain shutter speed range, tripod
shots made with mirror and aperture pre-fire do indeed exceed the
quality of shots made without it.
<http://web.archive.org/web/20050208000949/members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm>

Vibration is particularly noticeable with certain lenses like the 200/4.
  Gary's comments on the 200/4 test using an OM-1 say:
"Notes:  Low mass of OM camera body probably results in camera shake for
shutter speeds of 1/60 to 1/2 sec., in spite of tripod, cable release
and mirror lockup precautions.  Better wide open performance
attributable to lack of additional vibration from the automatic diaphram."

It was Gary who discovered this bad OM body behavior which shows that
the vibration from opening the lens diaphragm is much worse than that
from the mirror slap.  If Olympus knew about it they never admitted it
and you will not find such things mentioned in the manuals of cameras
whose self-timers activate mirror and aperture pre-fire.  In fact, prior
to Gary's tests the 200/4 had a reputation of being a bit of a dog.  It
took suppressing the vibration from the camera to show that it is
actually a fine lens.

If you shoot from a tripod in the range of 1/60 to 1/2 second you'll
want a body with mirror and aperture pre-fire.  As identified by Moose's
last message they are the OM-2Sp,  OM-4 series, OMPC and OM2000 bodies.

Chuck Norcutt