[OM] Question OM1 remote release

Subject: [OM] Question OM1 remote release
From: "DrT \(George Themelis\)" <drt-3d@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 13:28:12 -0400
I have a question... The Olympus OM1 is a purely mechanical camera.  It does
not need a battery for the shutter to fire, correct?

But when one connects the Winder 2, and then puts an electric remove plug
into the socket, the camera will fire.

How is this possible?  If the OM1 is a purely mechanical camera, then it
needs a mechanical action to fire the shutter.  The plug into the Winder 2
only provides electrical action.  What is going on here?

This question is important for me because I want to synchronize two OM1s
(for stereo photography) to fire that the same time when I press a switch.
I could use a double cable release (like the Olympus one that comes with the
bellows system) but electric synchronization is more reliable than
mechanical synchronization.  I thought that electrical synchronization was
only possible with the OM2 and OM4.  But now I see I can connect the Winder
2s in the OM1s and fire the cameras this way. I have not tried this yet, but
I don't see any problem and I am puzzled that this will work for a camera
with a mechanical shutter.

George