Re: [OM] Question: Mirror and aperture pre-fire?

Subject: Re: [OM] Question: Mirror and aperture pre-fire?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:32:56 -0700
DrT (George Themelis) wrote:
> I have heard this mentioned in regards to the OM4
>
> "Mirror and aperture pre-fire"
>
> What does that mean?

Well ... It means what it says. The mirror goes up and the aperture
closes long enough before the shutter opens to allow the vibrations from
the aforementioned events to die down.

> Is this a feature only in the OM-4?  How is it activated?

It is activated by simply using the self-timer on the OM-2Sp,  OM-4
series, OMPC and OM2000 bodies. When the shutter release is pressed, the
aperture and mirror actions take place immediately. The shutter waits to
fire until the self timer delay finishes.

If you browse Gary's lens tests, you will find many examples of tests
with the OM-1 mirror lock up vs. aperture/mirror pre-fire.

> I have read the camera's functions here and there (I don't have the
> instruction manual - I don't have an OM4 YET) and this is not mentioned.

PDF copies of most manuals are available on the bottom of the
informations pages in the eSIF. OM-4 here, for example.
<http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/bodygroup/manuals/om4ti.pdf>

Moose