[OM] Sleep to Shot timing (was "Olympus E-P1 review on DPR")

Subject: [OM] Sleep to Shot timing (was "Olympus E-P1 review on DPR")
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 07:41:54 -0500
On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 12:26 AM, C.H.Ling<ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I only concern the "sleep to shoot" timing (may be it is the same as "power
> off to shoot" for most DSLR). The E-1 is rather slow (~2s), I did miss many
> shots and it almost came to the situation that I just didn't try to shot
> because I knew it will not be ready in the timing I wanted.
>
> With the 5D II I never turn the power switch off, it is just like an OM4, I
> can shoot anytime without worry if the power switch has turn on or not. I
> did turn it off for a few times but I just forgot to turn it on when trying
> to shoot so the power switch is now always on.
>
> Power consumption is not an issue for 5D II, it sleep in a minute and then
> trun off after some time but it is ready to shoot when you trigger the
> shutter.
>
> C.H.Ling

As far as sleep to shot timing goes, I've found the OM-4 (which I'm
using for the Kodachrome project) more irritating than I ever have
found the E cameras to be.  But the circumstance is special in nature
because the camera is usually on tripod, often with a cable release
screwed in, and the camera goes to sleep and I lose my multispot
readings. It's even tricky to get the camera to wake up again as you
have to push in the cable release far enough to wake it up without
going so far as to take the picture.

My retrospective on the OM system is that I'd like to have had an
OM-2N with multispot metering or an OM-4 with an on-off switch.

Still, it's a blast to be shooting slide film again with an OM camera.
 I need to use the memo switch more!

Joel W.