Re: [OM] Olympus E-P1 review on DPR

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus E-P1 review on DPR
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 07:29:39 -0500
On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 11:15 PM, Moose<olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Joel Wilcox wrote:
>> I would like the option of cleaning at startup or shutdown -- my option.
>>  But having owned now three Oly DSLRs with this feature, the objection is
>> totally theoretical in nature and casts doubts on most other observations
>> because it merely builds upon the cobwebs of some reviewer's brain, as
>> evidenced in the language:  "detracts from the
>> sense of ..."    I have never missed a shot I wanted because of this
>> feature.  Never.  Non-issue.
>>

> Different strokes ... My original DSLR, a Canon 300D, has a power off to
> on time of about 3 sec. I found that quite frustrating at times and did
> indeed miss some shots to it.
>
> I'd be wandering about, the camera would turn off to save power, I'd put
> it up to my eye, only to discover it wasn't ready and I'd missed the
> decisive moment. I did intentionally develop a habit of being aware of
> potential opportunities and pushing the release to power it up again in
> anticipation, but who needs that?
>
> With the 5D, power off to shot time is less than 0.2 sec. Grab, push the
> button and get the shot. I'll take a shot with a dust bunny over no shot.
>
> I wouldn't mind if the Oly delay were for a real purpose, but it seems
> to me to be simple thoughtlessness and/or stubbornness. I just don't get it.

Perhaps it is because you assume that the cleaning procedure/start up
is equivalent to the power off delay?

The E-1 has a power off delay which is similarly frustrating (though
it can be turned off).  So I know what you mean.  But it's different
from the start up procedure.

The only way I would find the start up lag even noticeable is if I
somehow were in the habit of setting up my shots without having the
camera turned on, wanted to take the picture right away, and had to
wait the time of the start up routine to get the shot.  This kind of
thing would only be plausible if I were using a MF lens at the time.

I usually turn off the camera when changing lenses and I still don't
notice a meaningful lag when I start up again, and I'm truly ready to
go in those circumstances.

Really, it's a bit of a trumped up issue to me.  I don't recall an
actual Oly user ever complaining about this, but maybe this will bring
them out.

Joel W.