Re: [OM] shadow detail, was: sunset this evening

Subject: Re: [OM] shadow detail, was: sunset this evening
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 15:18:04 -0300
Thanks Chuck, C.H., Wayne for commenting.

I was trying to put into practice Ken's guidelines, for the first time.
Never before had I tried 'analog gain' using NikonScan, and it resulted
difficult regarding color balance, and insufficient regarding shadow
rescuing detail. I had to use some other PS tools, specially on the
'analog rescued  .tif'.

Nonetheless, I hadn't noticed loss of details in the highlights - I was
too busy dealing with the shadows !.

One problem leads to another, and ended into the beginning of a long
off-list conversation with Carlos Santisteban.
Topics worth mentioning in this conversation were: how different an
image is seen in a software-calibrated Mac or Win monitor (I have now an
old but functional iMac G3, and carefully calibrated its monitor using
ColorSync, while this monitor is calibrated using adobe gamma and CH
recommended site: I'll have to wait 'till December for the Spyder to
arrive). I found it amazing that loading an aRGB or sRGB profile to this
iMac display rendered too dark tones, setting gamma values to its
'native' value.

Found that when opening any .tiff in CS, color settings in Europe
Prepress 2, color balance matched (but not perfectly) toggling with
Proof Colors - Proof Setup -> toggling between Macintosh monitor and
Windows Monitor.

Our conversation then drifted to whether enable or disable Photoshop
Color Managing.
I stick to Europe Prepress 2, but Carlos has strong reasons to leave his
files untagged.
I've yet to study his last email where he funds his reasoning, but in
the meanwhile this Sunset by Mike arrived: not only did he preserve some
shadow detail, but he left it untagged !!.

Yes, I will refine further on Ken's directions.
But new problems keep coming ... very interesting :-) In the meanwhile,
I managed to break OS X 10.4.11 while trying to network it with XP -
wow, a network Preferences file
[/Preferences/*SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist] blew like a fuse
breaker !! - and despite the system generated another, I'm still not
able to configure a working Internet connection.

How much do I love computers: the more I love them, the more I like
digital photography ... ;-)

Fernando.