Re: [OM] sunset this evening

Subject: Re: [OM] sunset this evening
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 10:29:13 -0700

> And where exactly is this spot you were walking?
On the west side of San Juan Island looking across Haro Strait to
Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands (Jan and Barry Land) I took a lot
of photos and did manage a few keepers. Unfortunately I didn't grab the
tripod as I only anticipated a quick after diner walk and not a
spectacular show.

Here is one of the sun setting in the Cowichan Valley. 70~300
<http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/WalkDogs/Jul09/sunset0655.jpg>

> I love it but think it needs a black (not gray) surround
Thanks Chuck. I haven't bothered with borders in the past, just a quick
adjust and throw it up on the server but you are right I should try a
thin border.
> Very nice !! - I could hardly find the whale, but I find it amazing how
> did you manage to keep foreground shadow detail.
Actually there is a lot more detail there which I may bring out if I try
to print it. Exposure was for the sky. In the web version I chose to
mute it leaving just a hint of the grass. Another reason is that the
detail isn't as sharp as it should be. Wish I had the tripod. As for the
whales (dozens) they are spread out over many miles. I doubt they can be
seen in a wide angle shot (9mm) however you could hear them blow from
many directions. Quite an experience when you can't see them as at night
or in the fog. Here is a telephoto where you can just see them. Last
night they were back and much closer to shore but later and too dark.  I
didn't take photos. Sometimes it is better to just watch.

<http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/WalkDogs/Jul09/sunsetwhales0664.jpg>
> Are there more shots? -
Yes, here is one, the tug, Swinomish and the peaks above the ElwahValley
in Olympic National Park.
<http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/WalkDogs/Jul09/sunsettug0642.jpg>
> ..didn't find the rainbow in this one - should look again.
The rainbow was 180deg from the sun and so impossible to get in the same
photo without the tripod and pano plate but it was there. I offer this
as evidence rather than a particularly good photo. The location didn't
offer an opportunity.

<http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/WalkDogs/Jul09/rainbow0639.jpg>

Thanks for looking and the comments.
Mike