Re: [OM] Nikon V-ED scanner and software test

Subject: Re: [OM] Nikon V-ED scanner and software test
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:48:58 -0500

> I am also a Vuescan user (since yesterday) and I am very very pleased
> with its ability to produce clean images with great shadow details, even
> from a lowly
> Epson V700...

Very nice pictures.  Good scans!

Welcome to the crowd of users.  Keep in mind that Ed updates the program
quite frequently, so visit the site periodically to update VueScan.

Multi-pass scanning isn't the same as multi-exposure scanning in Vuescan.
Those are two separate check-boxes and serve different purposes.  The
multi-exposure scaning is used to increase the dynamic range of the
scanner's digitization process. The multi-pass scanning will smooth out the
tones and will diminish the grain somewhat. 10X is probably a bit
excessive.  I find that anything beyond three is pretty much a lost cause.

In VueScan, if you go over to the Color tab, change the Color Balance to
"None" and the Black and White Point percents to "0" and the Curve Low to
about "0.35" and Curve High to about "0.74". This will flatten out the
processing correction pretty much and gives you about the closest thing to a
RAW file as you can come.

Now, on the Input tab, you can lock exposure. (with the Nikons, you have
gain controls over the colors themselves). If you adjust the gain here, with
supported scanners, it increases the physical exposure time during the
scan.  Usually, if you click on the top-menu bar, select "Scanner" then
"Calibrate" this will allow the scanner and VueScan to figure things out so
you don't have a really off scan, exposure-wise.

So, by having the color tab essentially set to the "off" position, and if
you are scanning transparancies (slide film) and have the input source set
to "Image" not "Film", then you can really control the actual exposure of
the scan so it maximizes the dynamic range YOU desire for the given image.

One you get really fancy and experienced, you can profile films and the
scanner itself by using target charts.  But not really necessary unless you
name is Moose.

AG