Re: [OM] picture link

Subject: Re: [OM] picture link
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:59:12 +0200
Sure, but I am also still of the opinion that it takes an
exceptionally crap
lens to produce a rendering like this at f/6.3! (whether it can, and/
or should have, been
corrected in camera firmware or not). You are already almost a stop
below
the aperture at which the 25-year-old latest version OM Zuiko 50mm f/
1.4 (sn>1,1m)
lens actually becomes diffraction-limited, and offers an otherwise
near-flawless
image rendition of the highest standard.

Now we have 25 years of optical design, plus a two stops slower 35mm
equivalent lens,
in which the optical designers had the freedom of the shortest flange-
to-sensor distance
yet, and look at this - a lens which should, by all accounts, excel in
every way. There
is absolutely no excuse for this, not even at f/2.8, so I really hope
this was a dud sample.

Sorry if I keep hammering this point, it's just that I was really
hoping for something special
from Olympus, and with such a low-key slow lens, one would at the very
least expect exemplary
image rendition, in the tradition of other "slow" lenses like the 2.8
Tessars, the new cheaper
Leica Elmarit line of lenses, the peerless Mamiya 7 lenses, etc. The
designers of this lens had
all the freedoms in the world (including a high cost price for a
through-and-through plastic
lens like this, just look at the brilliant $90 Canon plastic 50mm f/
1.8 lenses) yet we are
underwhelmed. Hmm, I wonder if the OM Zuiko 18mm will be better on the
E-P1 - it's not much
bigger, but from samples I've seen on high-res DSLRs it does not
suffer these problems.

Sure, it's expensive... but it's also an ancient design. I still hope
somebody proves me wrong
by posting some other great examples! Please... I need to restore my
faith...