Re: [OM] RANT: Sample images taken with EP-1

Subject: Re: [OM] RANT: Sample images taken with EP-1
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:46:51 -0500

> How cool is the retro-Pen look?
> It's a non-starter, really -- at least the Pen part.  If anyone buys
> the e-p because of Pen nostalgia, he gets the Super Duffer Award,
> presented, I would suggest, with a big wet kiss from Ag Schnozz.

Well, let's put things into perspective.  I never had a Pen, and probably
never will. I do believe that Olympus is doing a brilliant move here and
playing on the heritage of Olympus.  Why not?  After all, the full-blown 4/3
lineup has been anything but earth-shattering. Shall I regurgitate my
disdain for 4/3 and the current design criteria?  Olympus did a few things
right with the E-1, which is why I still use it, but for everything right, I
can point to two things so wrong as to be laughable. So it is quiet, it
feels good in the hand, and has good image color.  Anything else?

(crickets)

Frankly, It isn't until Olympus rediscovers what it was about the OM system
which was so successful that Olympus will start building DSLRs that I give a
rip for. The Pen system was EXTREMELY successful in its day.  Olympus
rediscovered what was successful about the Pen and is trying to revisit it
today with the E-P1.

In the next day or two, I will be posting a big opinion piece on Zone-10
about the E-P1. In a nutshell, I believe the camera is a brilliant design
and marketing decision and WILL be a top seller. I also believe that it is
extremely revolutionary in one very very specific area which few in the
industry can grasp--not even Olympus.  Up till now, the time for the m43
format wasn't right.  As Joel indicates, the time is  right for the
pack-animals to realize that there is life beyond battery-grip equipped
monsters with 70-200/2.8 big-whites hanging off the nose.

However, be forewarned, my opinion piece will not be all positive. In fact,
it just might attract the wrath of my partner-in-crime. I don't care, after
all, it is an opinion piece and I know where the website is located.

"Don't make me angry.  You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

Too late, I'm already angry.

AG