Re: [OM] E-P1 on CNET $750 mfr price for body

Subject: Re: [OM] E-P1 on CNET $750 mfr price for body
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:29:08 -0500

> Nice idea, but I'm afrait it won't work... _Which_ wavelength would the
> bucket detect? Not any light on earth is purely monochromatic, spectral
> colour...

True, but a capture medium has to assign a specific monochromatic spectral
color to each pixel location. This is exactly what is being done today with
a digital sensor.

And then, how could you reproduce it? And pink (or even white/grey) won't be
> captured at all!

Sure it would. But you do bring up a good point about white/gray. I'm not
sure how the detector would discriminate as multiple colors are present.
Maybe the software would determine that since multiple wave-lengths are
present, a little calculation is made to guess that it is white.

But this does bring up an interesting concept. What if the the spectral
analysis is done in a sweep?  And the trace of that sweep is stored for each
pixel location. This would just require more processing horsepower (which is
a given) and more storage (non-issue).

But it's always nice to dream...

The Bayer Filter Array was also science fiction not all that long ago.
Nothing that I've said so far on this idea is outside of the limits of
physics.

Less you think I'm totally off my rocker, see the following:

http://www.parc.com/publication/1642/chip-size-wavelength-detectors.html

The upshot sentence is this: "...and sensors in which an analyte influences
a laser cavity and thereby its emission wavelength..."

Sound familiar? (BTW, I just googled this particular website, the idea was a
Schnozz-Cramp out of the 470nm)

AG