[OM] Card readers. sellers & service

Subject: [OM] Card readers. sellers & service
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 16:51:39 -0700
I've had a couple of card reader buying adventures lately and done some
measurements.

I bought a "NEON All-in-one USB2.0 Card Reader + SIM card reader" from
MemoryC in Ireland for € 9.45. I partly bought it because I was buying
some memory for an old Vaio and the reader didn't add any shipping
charge. It died within a few days of receipt. they were happy to replace
it, but made me pay return shipping on a defective product.

The one thing it doesn't have is xD capability, and I still use the F30.
So in a fit of "what the heck", I bought another from eBay for the
princely sum of $4.30, including shipping. The seller warehouses and
ships in Oregon. A couple of days and it's in my hands!

I plug it in, get no response from the OS and it is really hot in the
corner of the power light. As I am trying different cords, another
coputer, etc., the power light dies. It takes him a couple of days to
reply to my e-mail, one man show and out of town, I think. Anyway, he
offers replacement or refund. I opt for replacement, and boom, another
fast delivery.

The new one works like a champ, and even faster than the later, more
expensive one from MemoryC.

I case you are interested, I ran some read tests on various readers.
Using a "SanDisk CF Extreme III 4GB 30MB/sec." card.

MB/sec. msec.
Reader built into my Systemax desktop. 2.6 1.8

Old "USB 2.0 All-in-1 Card Reader 5.6 1.0

NEON All-in-one USB2.0, marked just "Super Power" 10.8 0.7

New "USB 2.0 All in 1 Card Reader, marked USB Hi-speed. 20.4 0.6

I also tried a Sandisk SDHC 4GB Extreme III card. 16.0 0.8

With a Sandisk CF 2GB Ultra II card, both faster readers max out at
about 10MB/sec.
I think the USB port on the computer maxes out at about 22.5MB/sec.

So this newest reader is tiny, really inexpensive and really fast. If
you are interested, I see the seller has priced them even lower now.
<http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-Memory-Card-Reader-Writer-SD-SDHC-MS-CF-TF-MMC_W0QQitemZ220379351413QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCC_Drives_Storage_Internal?hash=item334fa20975&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A30>

I just ordered another. At that price, I can have one on my desk and one
in the travel kit.

Moose