Re: [OM] (IMG) you bet your head

Subject: Re: [OM] (IMG) you bet your head
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 01:34:18 -0700
Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:
> moosified .. how did you do that, Moose?
>
> how did you minimize grain (at the same time, as a consequence of reducing
> grain, shadow detail appears sharp)?

First, I tried Neatimage, followed by Shadow/Highlight, but couldn't get
it decent. Then I reversed the order and that worked better. After that
bits of LCE (?), Intellisharpen II, and curves. the final curves
adjustment actually brought down the shadowy areas a bit, but increased
contrast in them,so they have more character.

> there's only one zone where a tree seems to be buried in the shadows, that it
> goes not far enough - but it's negligible.

I intentionally darkened the trees on the bottom, to the right of the
buildings below the tower. There was no detail in them, only annoying
noise. The buildings next to them are noisy too, but have lots of detail.

> I didn't play with curves in PS, did so only before scanning - thought it
> would be useless ... , same with NeatImage.

Remember, I usually adjust NI parameters, including resharpening, which
was used here. The defaults don't work here, nor did NI work well before
bringing up the shadows. I'm not sure why.

> And now, I remember I hadn't check levels in PS - done so only in the 4000ED
> - but I don't think the clue is there, neither.
>
> I was too busy getting the colors right, that took me lots of time - and
> fortunately I remembered to make only a soft unsharp at the end.

I never use Unsharp directly for sharpening. Fred Miranda's sharpening
plug-ins are my tools of choice. I always sharpen on a new layer, so I
can adjust the amount using the Opacity slider without going back and
resharpening again and again with slightly different settings. That way
lies madness. ;-)

> It may take all my life, but if you wouldn't tell, I will find out :-)

I tell what I can. Much is just practice and play. I remember most of
what I did to this one, but usually don't remember details very long.

Moose