Re: [OM] (OT) Web Page Design (was: High Noon)

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Web Page Design (was: High Noon)
From: "CyberSimian" <OlySimian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 11:49:29 -0000
Brian Swale wrote:
> I write my own web pages from the ground up

That is absolutely brilliant, Brian.  Not only do you learn a new skill to
add to your portfolio, but you also have complete control over web page
layout.  That is why I did the same last year when I created my web site.

I spent 25 years coding internal design documents and external user guides
in a Generalized Markup Language (GML), so I am well familiar with the
concepts of tag mark-up.  But HTML is a very different dialect that requires
some experimentation to achieve the results that you want.  And yes, if you
want all of your web-site visitors to have a pleasant experience, you
sometimes have to forego some of the fancier things that it is possible to
do with HTML.

I am just about to leave for four days, but here are screen-scrapes of your
"Photographer" and "Pricing" pages.  A screen-scrape is NOT like viewing the
page in a browser (which re-renders the HTML) -- a screen-scrape is a
pixel-for-pixel copy of what is on my screen.  To make this a reasonable
test, I used the font size that I normally use -- I did not inflate it
artificially in order to exaggerate the effects.  File sizes are 122KB and
108KB (bigger than previous examples in order to show the complete screen).

http://www.xenscape.com/imaging/anon/brian_swale_photographer.jpg
http://www.xenscape.com/imaging/anon/brian_swale_pricing.jpg

Notice in "Photographer" that your text does not flow.  I have looked at the
source, and it is because you have coded a [br] tag at the end of each line.
You should remove those.  Also, you specify the font size explicitly; you
should remove those too, and see what your page looks like without them.  If
you want text of differing size, you should use relative sizing (there are
different ways of doing this, depending on which HTML standard you want to
adhere to; for simplicity use the [big] and [small] tags).  There are also
some problems at the bottom of the page.

BUT: before you make any changes to your web-site files, take a complete
copy of all of the files so that you can revert to them if you don't like
the results of your experiments.  To get a pleasing result will require more
changes than the two I mentioned above.  I am happy to discuss this with you
off-list if you want to pursue it further (CyberSimian3 at BeeTeeInternet
dot com, but with "BT" in place of "BeeTee").

-- from CyberSimian in the UK