[OM] (OT) Pixel (?) line on monitor

Subject: [OM] (OT) Pixel (?) line on monitor
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 15:36:28 -0400
New thing. Since upgrading to CS4, I've started to notice the
occasional straight horizontal line across my monitor. Placement
varies from about 1/4 of the way down to 3/4 of the way down. Seems to
contain several colors, as though it's comprised of fired up pixels or
somesuch. It confines itself to whatever application is open when it
appears, that is, if I'm working in Bridge, the line is confined to
the bridge window and does not appear if I switch to another
application. If it shows up in Mail, it's confined to the mail window.
As a rule it does not stretch the entire width of the open
application. More like 3/4 of the width. If I close the application
and reopen, it goes away. Sometimes it comes right back. For the most
part, I'm seeing it in Bridge, though it has showed up in Mail, and, I
think, Excel. The line does not affect editing in any way. It does not
distort the photo, either spatially or colorwise. It's just there.

My first thought was that I need more RAM. I'm told CS4 likes much
more than I have (4gigs). But then I thought we've got serious gear
heads and computer whiz types on the list, why not run it by them
before I do anything expensive? The display is an Apple Cinema 24",
2-1/2 years old. The box is a Mac Pro Quad Core Duo running at 3.0,
also 2-1/2 years old.

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com