Re: [OM] Trip to Canada in June

Subject: Re: [OM] Trip to Canada in June
From: Sandy Harris <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 09:47:05 +0800
On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 12:59 AM, Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> From: Sandy Harris <fnaqlvapuvan@xxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> Is it smuggling? My understanding is that the treaty they signed
>> when they gave up their land makes them completely immune to
>> that border.
>

> It would seem to me that First Nations immunity to the border is for
> their use only, and that selling cigarettes (or booze, or nuclear
> weapons, or whatever) that they take across the border to non-First
> Nations folk is a reasonable concern.

Of course it is a reasonable concern.

However, some of the Indian lawyers claim that there is no legal
basis for acting on that concern. The treaties don't say "for personal
use" or make any other restriction, just a flat statement that Indians
and their goods can cross the border without restriction.

I have not read the treaties and do not know if or how the courts
have ruled on this, so I've no real idea if the claim is valid, but I
do know it has been made.

> :::: Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just
> the opposite. -- John Kenneth Galbraith ::::

Love that .sig.

--
Sandy Harris,
Quanzhou, Fujian, China