Re: [OM] Trip to Canada in June

Subject: Re: [OM] Trip to Canada in June
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 20:08:49 -0400
If you go to NotL it's only a short trip down to see Niagara Falls.
Then, if you cross into the US you can see the falls from the other side
as well.  Continuing a little further south toward Buffalo you'll pass
Ali's place in East Amherst on the north east side of Buffalo and my
son's house only a few miles from there.  Go a little west into Buffalo
proper and maybe even stop in for some *real* Buffalo wings at the
Anchor Bar <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_Bar>

On the way from Niagara Falls to Buffalo you'll pass through the town of
North Tonawanda <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Tonawanda> on
Niagara Falls Boulevard.  That's the site of the old Wurlitzer organ
factory and the subject of one of my TOPE shots.
<http://www.tope.nl/tope_show_entry.php?event=11&pic=19>  If the timing
is right you can stop in at the Riviera Theater there for a once a month
concert on their "Mighty Wurlitzer" theater organ.
<http://www.rivieratheatre.org/>

If you head east and south you'll encounter the Finger Lakes
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_Lakes> most all of which are ringed
by hundreds of wineries.  They all give tastings for a small fee and one
could be throughly soused in short order if not careful.  There are many
scenic spots around and one of the best known is Taughannock Falls in
theTaughannock Falls State Park
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taughannock_Falls> just north of Ithaca,
at the tip of Cayuga Lake.  Ithaca is the home of Cornell University.
Also very scenic is Watkins Glenn State Park at the tip of Seneca Lake
which is one lake to the west.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watkins_Glen_State_Park>
Watkins Glen is also the site of Watkins Glen International race track
and was for many years the location for the United States Grand Prix and
lots of other road races.

Only about 20 miles south and west of Watkins Glen is Corning, New York,
home to what used to be called The Corning Glass Works and also the
Corning Museum of Glass.  You can spend many hours in that place.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corning_Museum_of_Glass>  An optical
object of interest there is the first attempt at casting the pyrex
mirror for the 200 inch Hale Telescope on Mt. Palomar.  The first
mirror blank cracked while cooling and is now displayed on the wall.

One could make all of these tours by driving down the side of one lake
(tasting wines all the way) visit the two state parks and Corning and
then drive up the side of another lake (tasting wines all the way)  But
bring a designated driver.  :-)

That ought to keep you busy for a while.

Chuck Norcutt