[OM] Panorama problem

Subject: [OM] Panorama problem
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 14:20:25 +0200
Recently I enjoyed a day out in Amsterdam, including a boat trip
through the canals and harbour and a cocktail party on the top floor
one of the old warehouses (Veem) situated on a harbour quay. Very nice
indeed.

I shot many pictures there, including a series of seven from a window
of that warehouse/pub of which I stitched a panorama. It is a view to
the northeast over the IJ, the river splitting Amsterdam in the main
southern and smaller northern part.

I did this in PS, but some strange things happened. I had not noticed
that there was a distant but fast sailing passenger ferry in the
pictures, which was in a separate position in four of the seven shots.
In the resulting panorama I saw two instances of that vessel. When I
changed some of the options even four showed up!

Here is a low res copy of the one showing the same yellow-green ferry
twice, once almost in the centre of the picture and the second a few
hundred yards to the right:
http://tinyurl.com/o6rgs3

I then reverted to PTGui, which is more difficult to handle. But
things improved: the result showed only one instance of the ferry
boat. It must have recognized the multiple vessels as identical, and
have rejected all but one, although I have no idea how this is done
and how the choice is made. The boat position is now more to the left
- i.e. from an earlier shot - than the two boats in the PS pano:
http://tinyurl.com/rcv25r

Now my questions.
What is causing this odd behaviour in Photoshop? And can it be
avoided? Not that I often make panoramas of fast moving objects, but
it would be nice to know anyway.

In PTGui, would it be possible for the user to choose one picture of
the series to determine the position of a moving object (like my boat)
in the final panorama, rather than letting PTGui make the choice?

BTW, the pictures have been made with an Oly SP 590 UZ.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.