Re: [OM] [OT] Advice re using non-Microsoft op sys.

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Advice re using non-Microsoft op sys.
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 13:30:06 +1000
2009/5/8 Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I called it "magic" because there is no information given regarding how
> it works.  An "installer" does not make code written for a different
> operating system work on another one.  It was in attempting to trace
> down what the "installer" actually does that I ran into all the
> programmer speak without discovering anything useful.  I will not
> install something alien on my system without some degree of
> understanding of what it's actually doing.

That seems an explanation for your use of the word "magic" that I can
relate to, though I don't think it precludes general use by "most
folks". They have little interest in such "technical" matters, but
just want to install the program (any program - MS Office, Photoshop,
Thunderbird, and so on...). A simple installer is provided for those
folks.

Cheers,
Marc