Re: [OM] [OT] Advice re using non-Microsoft op sys.

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Advice re using non-Microsoft op sys.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 12:06:26 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> That makes perfect sense to me.  Calling it an "installer" does not.
> Knowing that I'd be willing to try it.

You are talking about both.

- The executable is compiled for windoze. You can probably download it
separately, put it on disk and run it fine.

- The installer is like most winders installers, a one time executable
that uncompresses the target executable, walks the user through picking
where to install, what options to install, what startup menu group to
add a shortcut to, whether to put shortcuts on desktop and/or taskbar,
etc. It may or may not also make registry entries. My limited experience
of compiling and/or installing open source apps has been that they may
not need registry registration.

I haven't tried the GIMP for a long time, so I'm sure it's changed since
then.

Like you, I can't get very excited about learning another tool when I
have so much time and experience in PS. even if another app is as
powerful and useful, a very different UI would set me back a lot.

Moose