Re: [OM] So what Zuiko is the true Bokeh Champ?

Subject: Re: [OM] So what Zuiko is the true Bokeh Champ?
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 20:37:17 -0400
I have both the 85/2 and the 100/2.8. I have never seen a 100/2 in
person...lol I will say that I agree with you on the 85 having sometimes
harsh bokeh. The 100/2.8 is a bit better. The 85 isn't bad, just not
awesome. I just tested a Minolta 85mm f1.7 that I got a few months ago cheap
($50 at the local camera shop in nearly perfect condition!). It has a bit
smoother bokeh than the Zuiko 85 (my Oly 85 is one of the newer black-nose
MC versions), but the lens is HUGE and HEAVY. I am having trouble with the
old Minolta SRT 101 that I am using it on. I think the camera needs
adjusting because I am getting consistant backfocusing with it with both the
85mm and the 50mm minolta lenses I have. My shots with the 85 zuiko are
always dead-on focused sharp. I need to get another Minolta body to test the
Minolta lenses with. All in all, given the huge size and weight of the
Minolta lens, and the giant size and weight of the SRT body, I don't think
the bokeh is that much better than the zuiko 85 to give up the small OM-4T
and small lens. The image quality difference is really small.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography