Re: [OM] Item number: 270379837711

Subject: Re: [OM] Item number: 270379837711
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 09:19:15 -0400
On May 1, 2009, at 9:03 AM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:

> like with DSLR's all would appears fine in the VF,
> but the nasty surprise would be on the print/slide.  The Screens for
> the DSLR's are purposely made for slower lenses and AF so faster MF
> lenses can be tricky to use w/o live view focus.

Hummm . . . I've got a f/2.8 manual-focus lens strapped on the front
of my D3 at the moment. The focus screen is Nykon's standard ground
glass, made mostly for autofocus. But I haven't had any trouble to
this point. The ground glass pops at focus, and because the lens is
"registered" with the camera, the focus sensor still works so when
focus is achieved, I get the round dot in the viewfinder. True, when I
get down to some serious critical work, I'll use live view magnified
for focus just the way I want it, but for the moment I'm still playing
with the lens and the shots I've taken have been limited by my
abilities, not the equipment. (Full disclosure also requires me to
confess the lens is 21mm, which means the depth of field is extremely
forgiving of my errors, even on full frame.)

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com