Re: [OM] Focus screen apparent viewing distance

Subject: Re: [OM] Focus screen apparent viewing distance
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 08:00:26 -0400
Having the correct answer here may be less useful than simple
experiments.  I'd take the camera to the nearest drug store or Wal-Mart
or wherever sells cheap reading glasses, set the diopter adjustment for
no adjustment and then start trying the various strength reading glasses
moving from weak (+1) to strong (+4) to see what works.  If none seem to
work then try adding additional strength from the built-in diopter
adjustment.

Be sure to focus on something in the store that's far enough away that
your minor movements picking and changing glasses won't seriously alter
focus.  I would suggest a bright, high contrast target at least 15 and
preferably 20 feet away to make sure your movements stay within depth of
field for an f/2.8 lens.  Once you've found the right glasses then
double check at close focus distance.  You may be able to walk out of
the store with a $10-20 solution.

Dr. Focus