Re: [OM] Chinook Pass #1, Mt. Rainier - reworked

Subject: Re: [OM] Chinook Pass #1, Mt. Rainier - reworked
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 22:45:40 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Guess I'll have to try the simple way too.  I'd have never guess it was that
> easy.  In the meantime I already redid it the hard way using a mask and
> curves.  I guess it wasn't necessary but at least I forced myself to
> learn how to convert selections to masks and to load masks from alpha
> channels into layer masks.  That was worth it.  :-)

Oh yeah! Those are powerful skills!

Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> OK, I just tried the easy way and (as Walt would have said) it's way more
> better... and better for ya too!
>
> Thanks for the lesson

You are very welcome. I live to serve. :-)

C.H.Ling wrote:
> I also just learnt the shadow/highlight tool few weeks ago, my ex-boss ...
> told me this simple tool seems better than the mask/curve I introduced to him
> :-(

Glad you have joined the party. Each update of PS adds some tools. Some
are of little or no use to photographers, some are helpful and some are
great steps forward. I thought Shadow/Highlight was the killer tool that
made PSCS a "must" upgrade.

There's some overlap, but each tool does some things better than the
other. Shadow/Highlight pulls compressed ends of the histogram up.down
better than I could ever smoothly and reliably do with Curves. On the
other hand, Curves is much more useful in the center. I've not found the
Midtone Contrast slider in H/S to be very useful compared to Curves.
And you can't put in a little bump or dip in anything but Curves.

I had some trouble with H/S creating halos around dark edges against
bright backgrounds. I haven't noticed that for a while. I don't know if
CS3 got better or I did. :-)

Moose