Re: [OM] Wide angle & polarizers

Subject: Re: [OM] Wide angle & polarizers
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 22:53:35 -0700
Sue Pearce wrote:
>> Second comment: If you plan on shooting architectural interiors go with
>> 18mm. Don't worry about a small sacrifice in brightness. A tripod takes care
>> of that.
>>
> Dead on. As an owner of both 18 and 21, I use the 18 almost exclusively
> indoors. I got it with other ideas, but that's how things grew. Oddly, I have
> a 17-35 for my D3, and I find I use it at 17-18 more than I did with the
> OM's. Odd.

It was much the same for me. I seldom used the 18/3.5 on OM, but when I
got a good wide zoom for the 5D, I found myself using the wide end more
often.

I think it's that I never really knew how to use a SWA lens. And then
the 18 wasn't often in my kit, being expensive and seldom used -
negative circle.
With a 17-35 zoom, it was easy to just see what a subject looked like
very wide.

The 18/3.5 is certainly better for linear distortion than the 21/3.5.
and gives more room for the cropping necessary when unavoidable
perspective distortion needs to be corrected. Still, PTLens makes the
Tammy @ 17 mm at least as distortion free as the 18/3.5 And I've never
seen any artifacts from using it.

Moose