Re: [OM] The ones that get away.

Subject: Re: [OM] The ones that get away.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 17:19:55 -0400
Here's more than you might ever want to know about Canada geese.
<http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/issues/cangeese/finaleis.htm>
(see, especially, the first link - Purpose and Need)  In a nutshell,
there are two populations of Canada geese.  The first population is the
"residents" who don't fly much of anywhere and whose populations have
been exploding for the past 20 years.  The second population is the
migratory population who fly from Canada south across the US to as far
south as northern Mexico using what are termed the North American
Flyways <http://www.birdnature.com/flyways.html>  I don't know the
current status of the migratory population but years ago it was in a
state of collapse and hunting was stopped.  From Chris's comment there
may now be a Canada goose season again but not necessarily.  There are
other types of geese beyond Canada geese which can be hunted.

The migratory geese (as are all migratory birds using the flyways) are
protected by hunting regulations jointly agreed by treaty between the US
and Canada.  No one wants to protect the "residents" but it's really not
possible to tell them apart.  Further complicating the matter is that
large numbers of the "residents" reside in urban areas where hunting is
not allowed.  I know that "nest and egg depredation" has been used in
some areas but I don't know the current state of the law.  I do know a
guy who has a private lake who has his own eradication measures to
prevent the fouling of his very small lake.  But he doesn't eat them.
He says the resident types don't taste good.

Chuck Norcutt