Re: [OM] Swamp walk at the Big Cypress Gallery

Subject: Re: [OM] Swamp walk at the Big Cypress Gallery
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 16:50:27 -0400
I'm still a bit confused about this myself.  I just discovered that my
trials and tribulations with the Big Cypress scans are largely caused by
using the VueScan built-in profile for Kodak Portra 400NC.  After
tearing my hair out all morning seeing poor color balance in the scans I
finally decided to try another piece of film.  So I grabbed some old
prints and negatives at random and saw that the film was Kodak Gold
200-2.  I put in a negative and, with the last Portra scan still showing
on the VueScan screen I changed the film type.  The ugly color (too much
red) in the Portra swamp scan suddenly jumped to a very nice and fairly
neutral image.  Either the color balance from the film processing was
off or VueScan has an error in their film parameter database... most
likely the latter.

I went on to scan the Kodak Gold 200-2 negative and got a very nice scan
with good color.  It required some further adjusting in PhotoShop of
course for final white balance and tonal adjustments but the scan is far
superior to the cheap print from about 10 years ago.

Now I've gotta figure out this scanner raw or DNG file thing.  I stored
a DNG out of the scanner but neither BreezeBrowser or Adobe Bridge seem
able to display it or even show a fingernail.  If passed to PhotoShop it
causes ACR to open up and ACR processed it OK.  But I was very surprised
to see that Bridge had no idea how to display a DNG file... at least a
DNG out of VueScan.

Anyhow, I'm beginning to form an opinion that the scanner should do what
it can to produce a proper color viewable image.  Otherwise I don't know
what I've captured until it gets viewed in PhotoShop.  I don't want the
scanner to make a final image... just produce an image with reasonable
color balance and proper levels.  Then I'll PhotoShop the rest.

Chuck Norcutt