[OM] Galleries Closing

Subject: [OM] Galleries Closing
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:05:43 -0400
On a subject actually related to photography . . . <g> . . . there was
a story in the Portland (Maine) paper the other day about several
galleries closing due to the recession. There was a great wailing and
gnashing of teeth over said closings, which is understandable, as
Maine has a high artist-to-everyone-else ratio, and Portland considers
itself something of a city for the arts and artists.

Truth to tell, I've never darkened the door of a single one of the
galleries listed as closing. I don't get to Portland all that often,
and when I do I've got other missions to keep me occupied. But the
article did say one of the now deceased was dedicated to photography.

Anyone else noticing similar articles/stories, etc.? I know that the
common wisdom says in economic hard times, art is one of the first
things to ignore until the disposable income level rises again.

So, what's the word out there? Hard times upon the arts?

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com