Re: [OM] Mammoth E-30 Product Review - Zone-10 Website

Subject: Re: [OM] Mammoth E-30 Product Review - Zone-10 Website
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <mark.marrlyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 06:55:58 -0600
On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:40 AM, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That sounds reasonable, thanks, Mark.  All IN systems have to guess at
> their position on the earth before being aligned.  They need this to
> know what the angular acceleration should be so as to erect the
> platform level.  Presumably the local gravitational force is part of
> the erection and alighnment process.

Yes, though the gravitational force must also be compensated for at all
times during the trip - hence the gyros so that you know which way is up and
can subtract it properly.  The initial location (and velocity) of the system
only needs to be set at the beginning.

Just before I left the F16, the platforms were stabilised with ring-
> laser gyros.  They were fantastic machines!

I can only imagine!  When you get your iPhone, you'll find that there are
several IN-type applications available for it that will allow you to do
things like measure the 0-60 mph acceleration time and cornering performance
of a vehicle.  While these are kind of neat, they aren't quite in the same
league as the F16 :)

Mark