[OM] Highly overrated? Not

Subject: [OM] Highly overrated? Not
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 10:20:10 -0500
Some people think that weather sealing is highly overrated.  I don't in the
least.  If it wasn't for the mammoth E-30 review soaking up almost the
entire weekend (www.zone-10.com) (Thanks Khen for the epic...), I'd have the
shot prepped and ready to show.  But it will have to wait until next week's
"Picture of the Week".

Saturday evening, we were driving back home in the rain when I noticed the
nice reflections in the water.  I dropped the family off at home, grabbed
the E-1 with 14-54 and headed back downtown to take some pictures. Now,
granted, as I looked around, all of the wet pavement shots looked like every
other wet pavement shot at night you've ever seen.  Essentially a cliche.

I ended up across the street from the Strand Theater, and the marquee was
reflecting nicely in the street, but the contrast level was out of sight.
So, I put the camera in 5-bracket mode (with 1 stop steps), 2-second
anti-shock delay, manual focused and as the camera was sitting on my sturdy
tripod, just fired away.

But did I mention that it was raining and just a couple degrees above
freezing?  All said and done, the camera was exposed to the elements for
around a half hour and was soaked.

My ONLY problem was that the battery in the battery-grip was getting a
little "soft".  I've noticed that the higher capacity battery in the
vertical grip doesn't do as well in cold weather as the smaller BLM-1
batteries inside the camera.  The camera generates enough heat to keep the
BLM-1 from lagging too much, but the high-capacity battery is outside the
camera itself and not getting the benefit of the heat.

Anyway, the moral of this story is that when you have an E-1, you ain't
afraid to use it in any condition.  If I had the non-sealed E-30, I would
have been covering it up with a shower-cap or something.  I enjoy not having
to worry about my cameras.

It really is freedom!

AG