Re: [OM] ( E-1, E-510) White balance lens cap

Subject: Re: [OM] ( E-1, E-510) White balance lens cap
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 11:12:19 -0400
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> I think the digital obsession with white balance is simply way overboard
> and more directed at selling white balance products than taking photos
> that represent the light they were taken in.

I haven't been witness to the obsession, more the confusion as to what
it is. I find the custom white balance in the E-3 a very useful tool,
especially indoors. When doing an indoor shot of a hockey rink, I had no
clue as to the source of the overhead lighting and didn't want the ice
to have a weird color cast. Shooting a gray card in the stands gave me
an excellent starting point to work from in RAW conversion. I probably
would have had more difficulty getting the proper tint setting had I
shot at the daylight setting or used auto. Setting the color balance of
something white in the image to pure white in the conversion doesn't
always work for me.

> In most cases, accurate white balance just washes away the color of
> the lovely light you're trying to capture.

I agree and is the reason I recommend to most who ask to keep there WB
setting at daylight instead of auto as it works in most cases (as it did
in the film days) and choose shade or overcast when appropriate,
especially with snow scenes.

Richard

--
Richard Lovison Photography