Re: [OM] ( E-1, E-510) White balance lens cap

Subject: Re: [OM] ( E-1, E-510) White balance lens cap
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 08:09:12 -0400
I find that precise white balance is almost never required.  I shoot
only in raw so that I can always adjust if required.  The camera is
always set for daylight or incandescent or flash as appropriate and the
raw files are initially converted with the "as shot" white balance which
is usually just fine.  If I think a true white is really required I'll
look for something white or gray in the image and let ACR adjust
accordingly and with maybe a tweak of my own afterwards.  If I think the
shot needs a true white I'll use my small white balance card and take a
shot of that before or after the shot that will need the precise
balance.  But that is extremely rare unless you're trying to guarantee
that the bride's dress is white or you're doing product photography.

I think the digital obsession with white balance is simply way overboard
and more directed at selling white balance products than taking photos
that represent the light they were taken in.  How many film shooters
have a massive set of Kodak CC filters or even bother to use type B film
under incandescent light?

ps:  I have a $71 large, collapsible white balance target
<https://www.shopshootsmarter.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage_sss/product_id,23/category_id,6/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,26/>
given to me gratis last year by Will Crockett
<http://www.shootsmarter.com/> for some suggestions I made to him
regarding some of his flash videos.  I've never yet seen the need to use
it.  In most cases, accurate white balance just washes away the color of
the lovely light you're trying to capture.

Chuck Norcutt