Re: [OM] (OT) Traffic

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Traffic
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 09:58:47 -0500
On Mar 1, 2009, at 9:07 AM, Chris Barker wrote:

> You've certainly taken your time, Bob.  I have backups on Time Machine
> going back to last Summer and it works a treat.  Back then I upgraded
> my iMac to the 24" jobbie (2.8GHz//2Gb/750Gb) and restored my files
> using Time Machine backups.
>
> I did the same with my MacBook when it had to have the HD replaced.
> It's automatic piece of mind, although I might try the Moose trick of
> changing to another drive to preserve what I have now somewhere else
> in the house.
>
> I don't use MS Office now.  I have Open Office to supplement what
> iWork doesn't do (not much).  It's not completely free as I donated
> some dosh, but it is certainly cheaper than MS Office.

I did take my time. Vestige of Windows, I suppose. Every time I
upgraded my Windows OS I could count on at least a week of tearing out
my hair, calling people, fussing and fuming and otherwise dusting off
my old Army vocabulary. Once I even had to take my machine to the
computer store and have it fixed. My wife brought Leopard into the
house just as it was released, and just as I was starting to print in
earnest for last season. I couldn't imagine taking the chance of
spending down time under the hood of my computer.

Editorial Aside: This is in no way meant to disparage Windows or those
who choose to use it. I still have a Windows machine that gets regular
use. I'm just saying that it has conditioned me to think one way, and
I'm not yet completely rehabilitated--or should that be habilitated?--
to work the Mac way. And because the Mac way meant a whole couple of
hours upgrading the system, I'll guess I've taken another step along
the rocky, daemon-strewn path toward Nirvana.

I've got Time Machine writing to a 750 gig external hard drive. I've
also got a 360 gig external hard drive that I use another program to
back up to. Plus an extra 250 gig hard drive in the machine itself. I
suppose I need to get one of those subscription storage options that
allows storage on line for a complete off-site solution. Then I can
feel safe. <g>

Office is a given for me, mostly because I have it. Joan upgraded to
the Leopard version, but I haven't, mostly because the new Leopard
version is advanced enough that people using some older versions of
Office have to download and install a little plug-in to allow them to
read her attachments. Most of them don't want to do that because the
places they work have policies against such undertakings, and it will
require IT at least two or three months to get around to it. I'm
perfectly happy with v. 2003, or whatever it is I have. No need or
point in upgrading, until the Mac OS won't support it any more. Then
I'll go to Open Office, or even iWork, which apparently is getting
more robust these days.

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com