Re: [OM] pizza, was New Bessa Pics

Subject: Re: [OM] pizza, was New Bessa Pics
From: Fabio Fiorellato <flowerside@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:31:04 +0100
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Somewhat chauvinistic?  LOLOLOLOLOL

Yes, somewhat. We're not French, after all... :)

> There is a pizza restaurant here in Grinnell that has one of the best
> margherita pizzas around. (Sorry, Chuck, you came on the night it was
> closed, we ate at the other place).

It's a bit out of reach, but I'm sure it's worth it :)

I'm of the opinion that recipes can be engineered and improved upon. If we
> ONLY stuck to the very original "authentic" recipe, that would stagnate the
> culinary developments which have brought us everything from burritos to Ben
> and Jerry's.

I'm absolutely not against culinary development and "re-engineering". I am
the first to experiment over well consolidated recipes, with mixed results.

It's that the 'original' pizza recipe is as simple as it can be.

And simplicity, mixed with good ingredients, is often what makes a dish
worth eating. After almost 200 years of tradition in pizza cooking, if
something should have really been improved, we'd have known.

As an *extreme* example I should recall some dishes (think to some cheeses,
for example) whose preparation remained fundamentally unmodified since the
third millennium B.C. :)

Ciao!

Fabio

> AG
> --

The definitive answer to the meaning of life, universe and everything else
is: 42.