Re: [OM] pizza, was New Bessa Pics

Subject: Re: [OM] pizza, was New Bessa Pics
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 08:55:48 -0600

> It's (partially) true that here in Italy we tend to be somehow chauvinist
> about food, and that each and every of our 20 regions claims its cuisine as
> being the best with respect to the others (if not to the world as a whole).

Somewhat chauvinistic?  LOLOLOLOLOL

Pizza purists (as many of the most famous "pizzaiuoli" in Naples and
> surroundings) allow only two different types of pizza to be considered as
> such: the "margherita" (with san marzano tomatoes, mozzarella di bufala,
> basil leaves and olive oil), and the "marinara" (with san marzano tomatoes,
> oregano, a bit of minced garlic and olive oil). And they all should
> mandatorily be cooked in wood-fired oven.

There is a pizza restaurant here in Grinnell that has one of the best
margherita pizzas around. (Sorry, Chuck, you came on the night it was
closed, we ate at the other place).

I'm of the opinion that recipes can be engineered and improved upon. If we
ONLY stuck to the very original "authentic" recipe, that would stagnate the
culinary developments which have brought us everything from burritos to Ben
and Jerry's.

AG