Re: [OM] pizza, was New Bessa Pics

Subject: Re: [OM] pizza, was New Bessa Pics
From: Nicoletta Da Ros <nicodaros@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 23:29:51 -0800
i'm intrigued by how relative the idea of "good pizza" is...

a good pizza for me in italy is something else compared to what i
would call a good pizza here in the US. in italy, the pizza has to be
very thin, full of toppings, soft in the center and with a not-too-
soft crust, so that you can slice it and pick up the slice with your
hands (yes, food tastes better when eaten with one's hands!). it is
made at the moment, cooked in the brick oven with real fire and it
does retain the taste of carbon and burnt flour, but not too much as
to alter the flavors of the toppings and the dough.

a good pizza here in the US is something that is less than an inch
thick, does not drip oil and has something more than cheese and
pepperoni (sorry, i'm partial to anchovies, and pineapple and fries
on a pizza are sacrilege...). the best pizza i had so far on this
side of the pond was in port hueneme, ventura county - 2 hours by car
from riverside, but worth every mile (yes, i did the trip more than
once JUST for that pizza!)

had pizza at a billion places in italy, north and south, even in
sorrento and napoli, which are considered the birthplace of the
pizza. but oddly enough, the best one i had was made by a cuban guy
who owned a to-go pizza place half a block from my house. he held a
degree in chemical engineering, and had experimented with different
ways to make the dough, analyzing it form a chemical point of view,
and adapting the amount of the ingredients until he came up with the
softest dough that would not give you heartburn and would not get
gummy the next day, when reheated. and he was very generous with
toppings too :)

now i'm hungry...

nico.it

On Feb 22, 2009, at 2:01 PM, siddiq@xxxxxxx wrote: