Re: [OM] The print I bought at Clyde Butcher's gallery

Subject: Re: [OM] The print I bought at Clyde Butcher's gallery
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:57:26 -0500
Quite possible for the ink jet prints which are scanned from the
negatives, run through PhotoShop and printed on an Epson 9800.  But not
possible for the silver prints which are printed directly from the
negative on equipment seen here:
<http://www.clydebutcher.com/technical-info.cfm>

I can't really judge the quality of the jpeg image on his web site
because I'm using the Krappy Kolor monitor on my laptop.  It simply
doesn't show fine tonal variations.  However, the grosser shades of
white, gray and black are not much different from my recall of the huge
silver print hanging in the gallery.  It really does have that sort of
dark and foreboding look.  From discussion with Clyde I do know that it
was shot early in the morning.  He said he almost didn't get up that
morning to take this shot because he'd been doing so to catch this shot
for about 5 days and was exhausted from that and prior travel.
Unfortunately, I didn't see a smaller ink jet print of this same image
while I was in the gallery.  But the small ink jet print I bought of the
Loxahatchee Refuge shot is tonally pretty much like the big silver
print.  But it's still hard to compare an 11x17 print against something
that's about 4x5 feet.

Chuck Norcutt