Re: [OM] PTGui vs PhotoShop photomerge

Subject: Re: [OM] PTGui vs PhotoShop photomerge
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 09:56:27 -0800
The key to Autostitch is getting to know the Options menu.
(Edit>Options) It is really powerful. I have just started to get the
hang of what works for me. First of all check the appropriate rotation
box or you will get some interesting results. Also check the Gain
Compensation box to blend the exposure of skies. I set the Output Size
to an even multiple of input image height, usually 912 but I don't think
it matters much. Finally increase the jpg output quality. If there is
one weakness it is the poor jpg algorithm. Otherwise the defaults work
well. If your input images are hard to merge because of lack of distinct
features try changing the SIFT and RANSAC parameters. I think it helps
to list the center image first with difficult files. (see the help files)

Here is a 17 image merge from yesterday evening. It took less than a
minute for the result. Horizon averaged right to left as it is curved.
Cropped and some sky cloned where needed. I applied some LCE but note
the image is still a little soft. This could be parallax error and/or
jpg algorithm. There was no wind. Size reduced with WP and Save for Web
which of course added to the problem. The same workflow applied to an
individual image gives much sharper results. I think I cannot blame the
tool rather my inept use of it. The commercial versions of Autostitch
will output tif files and have a prettier interface.

<http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/WalkDogs/Jan09/prairie%20pano.jpg>

Here's a bonus shot from our walk.
<http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/WalkDogs/Jan09/fox569.jpg>

Mike